With this unprecedented smoke covering the Portland area, here are some tips to improve the indoor air quality in your home. Every home and every HVAC system is different, so please keep that in mind.
- Keep all windows closed.
- Check and change your filter. If you cannot see light through it, replace it! This applies to disposable filters.
- Run your central AC if you have one. If you just have a furnace, run the FAN not HEAT (set this to ON not AUTO).
- We don’t recommend closing dampers or registers in unused rooms.
- Depending on your home and location you may or may not have a fresh air intake. The only way to know if you have one is to send out a Service Tech, more than likely your home does not have one unless you have a newer construction home. If you have one, close it.
- Minimize cooking oils, fumes, and odors.
- We can’t say this enough – check your filter regularly!
We recommend checking out the EPA’s recommendations for more information.
The Jacobs Team